There was a time, three or four decades ago, when costarricans could camp in the Manuel Antonio National Park. In those days, there were chances to see the beach totally empty pretty often. In those times, Costa Rica was an undiscovered little Central American country very people in the World had heard about… ever.
Decades ago, and in despite of a horrible road, Manuel Antonio beach was the favorite destination of thousands of costarricans, that would rather spend seven hours crumpled in a bus even standing up than going anywhere else…
Today, the road is nearly perfect, there are dozens of hotels of all types, styles and rates, there is a variety of different tours and activities and thousands and thousands of people visiting the area. All of them, deciding that they rather be in Manuel Antonio, despite the crowds, than anywhere else in Costa Rica…
Why? Oh! Why is Manuel Antonio National Park still a favorite?
Well! Let me give you eight easy short but transcending reasons:
1. Manuel Antonio is gorgeous! And it is surrounded by beauty.
2. The ocean in the National Park is as calmed as a lagoon.
3. Most luscious rainforest gets to the very edge of the water.
4. Monkeys, monkeys and more monkeys! So easy to see and so close!
5. Warm water in the ocean
6. White sand on the beach.
7. Real and amazing free wildlife… And I mean, other than monkeys: Three and two toed sloths, snakes, raccoons, coatimundis, black and green iguanas and if lucky anteaters, spectacled caimans and agoutis
8. Great naturalist certified tour guides at the entrance of the park and ready to rock’n roll!
9. It does not only have a great beach but great hikes to other areas in the National Park.
10. Clean and easy to use bathrooms and showers.