Tortuguero in the North of Costa Rica is remote, isolated, luscious and magnificent. It is like the best of the Amazon Basin condensed within a few miles of visitable waterways. Of course, the National Park is much bigger, but we only get to see less than 10% of this magnificent nature wonder.
Now, as if this is not enough reason to g to Tortuguero, find here 17 reasons that will make you dream about it and reserve in the area as soon as possible.
The only ways to get into Tortuguero are by boat or plane.
This means remoteness, exoticness… it is the place where any passenger feels really like Indiana Jones! It is an affirmation itself “You are in the jungle Baby!”.
- The landscape is absolutely 100% guaranteed. Unlike volcanoes or high places… Here you don’t depend on the weather to see the wonder of the rainforest.
- Three species of monkeys! Howlers, White Faced and Spider Monkeys! And you might get to see them all in one spot… if you are really lucky!
- Birds: It has more than 400 species of birds, and we are not talking about migratory species. Permanent and all the time you get to see gorgeous and colorful birds everywhere. In the grounds of the hotels, in the nearby rivers and while on the tours.
- Lodges. There are all sorts of options in terms of jungle lodges. From very basic yet clean and comfy to luxurious accommodations.
- The turtles: From July to September you can come to see the Green Sea Turtles to lay eggs in the Tortuguero beach.
- The baby turtles: By late August the baby turtles start hatching from their nests and struggle to get in the ocean is a sublime thing to behold and a great experience.
- Weather: It is rainy… yes. But it is also tremendously sunny. It may rain a few hours at the most and then you will get gorgeous blue skies. The temperature never falls.
- Ivies: Yes! Ivies! The most beautiful and giant ivies covering the trees on the waterways.
- Toucans: In the area, there are three of the six species of toucans in Costa Rica.
- Sounds: Get ready for a myriad of different and very exotic sounds like the oropendolas or the macaws.
- Sloths: You can find both species of sloths in the National Park and the hotel’s grounds: The three-toed sloth and the two-toed sloth.
- Dark skies where you can see the infinite stars. As Tortuguero in the beach cannot have lights, if you are lucky enough as to have a clear night, the sky is one of the most magnificent sights
- Giant iguanas. Yes! Huge males on the trees and on the hotel grounds.
- Caribbean Food: You cannot go out from Tortuguero without trying the Caribbean-style rice and beans and the Caribbean Chicken. Both made in coconut milk. Delicious!
- Sunrises: If you are in the hotels by the beach, wake up early in the morning and contemplate the amazing tropical dawns in the ocean.
- Magnificent 360° degrees jungle landscapes. That’s right! 360° degrees. The waterways in some areas have tannins in the water and this creates a mirror effect that is absolutely breathtaking when the water is still.